root and boot floppy on ISC

Gary Heston gary at sci34hub.sci.com
Fri Apr 12 03:16:16 AEST 1991

In article <538 at jahangir.UUCP> marc at jahangir.UUCP (Marc Rossner) writes:
=In article <1991Apr3.203354.18641 at eci386.uucp>, woods at eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) writes:
=> In article <59 at talgras.UUCP> david at talgras.UUCP (David Hoopes) writes:
=> >     Is it possable to create a bootable root floppy for Interactive Unix?
=> 	copy /etc/boot to track 0 (for 386/ix 1.0.6 anyway)
=   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
=This is the part I can't figure out how to do.  Any hints?

Oh, heck, people--just use dd to read the install floppy into a file,
and then back onto a formatted new disc. Mount it, and hack away.
This way, you copy the boot loader plus the existing file structure
(and most of the stuff in /dev, /bin, and /etc that you'll need anyway).

Works under 1.0.6 and 2.x. Also a good way to back up your install floppy--
if you have the space.

--
Gary Heston   System Mismanager and technoflunky   uunet!sci34hub!gary or
My opinions, not theirs.    SCI Systems, Inc.       gary at sci34hub.sci.com
I support drug testing. I believe every public official should be given a
shot of sodium pentathol and ask "Which laws have you broken this week?".