Archive 2150S Tape Drive

Ken Seefried iii ken at dali.cc.gatech.edu
Mon Apr 29 04:37:45 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr28.012314.20602 at agate.berkeley.edu> mliddle at hailstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Micheline Liddle) writes:
>I recently purchased a Archive 2150S but unfortunately a manual for the unit
>was not provided.  Since Archive (Irwin's) price is rather steep (> $35 ) I'll
>try the net first.

The $35 dollar manual is the OEM manual which you probably don't need.
When I called up Archive to get my 2060Ss set up, they sent me a
little 5 or 6 page manual called something like Quick Setup Guide or
something (I'm at home so I don't have the thing in front of me).
This guide pertty much just shows the jumpers and what they are for,
which is really all you need to know in most cases.  I got mine free,
your mileage may vary.

>    The drive was supplied with the following jumper settings (pardon the
>    ASCII graphics):
>
>	Looking at the back of the drive, circuit card down.
>
>                             ------
>	RxD   *  *   TxD    | *  * | CF2     *  *   ID2
>                             ------
>
>	      *  *   DIA      *  *   CF1     *  *   ID1
>
>             ------          ------         ------
>	    | *  * | PEN    | *  * | CF0   | *  * | ID0
>             ------          ------         ------
>
>    I think I've got the ID[0-2] jumpers figured out (SCSI IDs 0-7)
>    but I have no idea what the rest are.

Okay...the RxD/TxD jumper is really a little serial port used for
factory testing.  Not useful for anything else.

I don't remember what DIA and PEN stand for, but on the known-working-
under-SCO-Unix Archive 2060S I have here, neither is installed.

CF0-2 set, as I recall, the maximum block size that can be transfered
over the SCSI bus to the drive at one time (is that right?).  You are
currently set for 16K.  I had to set mine to 32K to get them to work
properly.  This setting is all jumpers shorted.

You are correct that ID0-ID2 are the SCSI address.  You are currently
set at ID 1.

>3.  The drive was supplied without termination resistors.  Are they required
>    when connected to the 1542's internal SCSI connector?  The Miniscribe
>    3180S disk has terminators installed but is connected to the 1542's
>    external connector.  If the terminators are needed what value should
>    the be?  Any suggested vendors?

Yes...if you mount it internally, you will need to terminate the
drive.  NOTE!  You will also have to remove the terminators from the
controller board.  They are located right next to the extrernal SCSI
connector on the 1452x's (x = {A,B}).

I don't recall the values of and sources for the terminators.  Ithink,
though, that you should be able to use the resistors that you remove
from the controller.

Hope this helps...

--

	ken seefried iii	"I'll have what the gentleman
	ken at dali.cc.gatech.edu	 on the floor is having..."