Archive 2150S Tape Drive

Micheline Liddle mliddle at hailstorm.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Apr 28 11:23:14 AEST 1991

I recently purchased a Archive 2150S but unfortunately a manual for the unit
was not provided.  Since Archive (Irwin's) price is rather steep (> $35 ) I'll
try the net first.

I'm running on the following platform:

386-20 w/ 13MB RAM
Adaptec 1542 SCSI Host Adapter (SCSI Address 7)
Miniscribe 3180S (330 MB) Hard Disk (SCSI Address 0, 1542 external connector)
Archive 2150S Tape Drive (SCSI Address 1, 1542 internal connector)
      Firmware Level -005 (As Reported by SCSICNTL.EXE)

ISC UNIX 2.02 and MS-DOS 3.30

Now for the questions:

1.  When running Roy Neese's SCSICNTL utility (Version 5.1) the following error
    message appears at startup.

	   Start:  Tape Drive 1 error reported
	      Sense key 02:  Not Ready
           Error Code 00:  No additional information

    I hope this is only a jumper setting problem but at this point we
    don't know what the proper settings are.

    The drive was supplied with the following jumper settings (pardon the
    ASCII graphics):

	Looking at the back of the drive, circuit card down.

                             ------
	RxD   *  *   TxD    | *  * | CF2     *  *   ID2
                             ------

	      *  *   DIA      *  *   CF1     *  *   ID1

             ------          ------         ------
	    | *  * | PEN    | *  * | CF0   | *  * | ID0
             ------          ------         ------

    I think I've got the ID[0-2] jumpers figured out (SCSI IDs 0-7)
    but I have no idea what the rest are.

3.  The drive was supplied without termination resistors.  Are they required
    when connected to the 1542's internal SCSI connector?  The Miniscribe
    3180S disk has terminators installed but is connected to the 1542's
    external connector.  If the terminators are needed what value should
    the be?  Any suggested vendors?

4.  If anyone has a spare 2150S manual they'd be willing to part with please
    send email to the address below.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

M. Liddle
  mliddle at ocf.Berkeley.EDU