CMS tape backup and sysv386 (Has ANYONE been successful??)

Kent Karrer kentkar at shambala.uucp
Thu Apr 11 00:15:18 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr9.021529.22091 at rock.concert.net> wojtowic at fletcher.cs.unca.edu (David Wojtowicz) writes:
>I've seen lots of requests for information about getting a CMS tape backup
>to work with ISC or ESIX.  It seems that many are looking for the necessary
>drivers.  Of course, as far as I know, the only answer to that is to buy
>it from CMS for $$$.
>
>Of those of you who did break down an purchase the driver, has anyone managed
>to get everything to work right and successfully back up their system?

I originally tried using my CMS Jumbo with the floppy tape driver provided
with my ISC 2.2 unix system. I could never get it to work. I always received
device busy errors. I finally called CMS tech support. They had me check the
hardware rev of the Jumbo drive. They told me that the rev I had was not
compatible with ISC's floppy tape driver. I finally purchased their unix
driver. The CMS driver and related software works great. I made complete
system backups and on two occassions had to rely on those backups because
of problems I created when fooling around with my hard drive.

>We encountered a number of problems:
>
>  <lots of stuff deleted>

I did not experience any of the problems that you have. I am curious though
about the floppy controller you are using. Originally, I had my CMS Jumbo
cabled to my B drive port on my WD1006V-SR2 hard/floppy disk controller. I
had to specify in my CMOS PROM setup that there was no device on B. Trying
anything else was unsuccessful for me.

Additionally, I finally decided to purchase CMS's FC-10 Jumperless Tape
controller as I wanted to have my 3.5" floppy back as drive B. Installation
of the FC-10 went fairly well and I have been very satisfied with it also.

So, bottom-line, there's at least one satisfied CMS customer out here.