X.25 software for i386 needed

Jan Mikkelsen janm at dramba.neis.oz
Thu Apr 11 14:16:47 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr09.054346.18025 at modtor.uucp> peter at modtor.uucp (Peter Ziobrzynski) writes:
>Does anybody know about the software package that works as X.25 PAD and runs
>on i386?  It would provide connection over the synchronous modem line.
>Preferably it would be implemented over Sys.V. Streams and the virtual
>circuits would be available as /dev node files.
>I heard about ADAX but very long time ago and their quality was very poor then.
>The company names and phone numbers would be greatly appreciated.
>--
>Peter Ziobrzynski, peter@{modtor,nixtdc}.UUCP, (416)496-8510 or (416)625-1684

We have just been through the process of getting a similar product.  We
tried hard to get Adax to work, but couldn't.  Nor could the Australian
distributor.

We also tried Symicron, where we could at least bring the link up, but
it had no X.28 PAD facility.  No end user software at all really, just
a library.  Incoming calls didn't work properly either.  All of the
Australian installed sites developed their own application specific
software using the library provided.

We are now running System Strategies Inc. X.25 Express software with an
Emulex DCP-286i card.  This does the job very well;  incoming and outgoing
calls work fine.  The only real problem is the lack of a streams interface,
making outgoing UUCP calls very difficult.  Virtual circuits are not
available as devices.  If you want to write an application which uses X.25
directly, you must use their library.

--
Jan Mikkelsen
janm at dramba.neis.oz.AU or janm%dramba.neis.oz at metro.ucc.su.oz.au