X.25 software for i386 needed

Marc Boucher marc at PostImage.COM
Sun Apr 14 16:30:16 AEST 1991

janm at dramba.neis.oz (Jan Mikkelsen) writes:

>In article <1991Apr09.054346.18025 at modtor.uucp> peter at modtor.uucp (Peter Ziobrzynski) writes:
>>Does anybody know about the software package that works as X.25 PAD and runs
>>on i386?  It would provide connection over the synchronous modem line.
>>Preferably it would be implemented over Sys.V. Streams and the virtual
>>circuits would be available as /dev node files.
>>I heard about ADAX but very long time ago and their quality was very poor then.
>>The company names and phone numbers would be greatly appreciated.
>>--
>>Peter Ziobrzynski, peter@{modtor,nixtdc}.UUCP, (416)496-8510 or (416)625-1684

>We have just been through the process of getting a similar product.  We
>tried hard to get Adax to work, but couldn't.  Nor could the Australian
>distributor.

>We also tried Symicron, where we could at least bring the link up, but
>it had no X.28 PAD facility.  No end user software at all really, just
>a library.  Incoming calls didn't work properly either.  All of the
>Australian installed sites developed their own application specific
>software using the library provided.

>We are now running System Strategies Inc. X.25 Express software with an
>Emulex DCP-286i card.  This does the job very well;  incoming and outgoing
>calls work fine.  The only real problem is the lack of a streams interface,
>making outgoing UUCP calls very difficult.  Virtual circuits are not
>available as devices.  If you want to write an application which uses X.25
>directly, you must use their library.

>--
>Jan Mikkelsen
>janm at dramba.neis.oz.AU or janm%dramba.neis.oz at metro.ucc.su.oz.au
>"She really is."

NetCom II by The Software Group fully supports X.29 streams using the
normal unix tty interface. I have successfully used UUCP over X.25 with
their software, a year or so ago..

ask Derek Vair (derek at tsgfred.UUCP) for more info.

-Marc.

--
Marc Boucher                   Internet: marc at PostImage.COM      BIX: mboucher
Dir., Informatique             Telephone: (514) 489-8989         FAX: 489-0242