out of swap space??

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.uucp
Sun Apr 28 04:19:24 AEST 1991

In article <455 at jgaltstl.UUCP> terry at jgaltstl.UUCP (terry linhardt) writes:

>In article <1991Apr24.123035.4193 at virtech.uucp>, cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>> >HOW BIG SHOULD MY SWAP BE? I have 8megs of ram

>> My general rule of thumb is 2x your memory (or 16mb for your system).  Of

>I would like to see some thoughts on the validity of these
>rule-of-thumb recommendations. Not saying they are wrong, but would
>like to know the justification behind them.

And of course rule-of-thumb doesn't always apply.

These are from memory last week.

Docs on the Lotus 123 for Unix/Xenix package say something like

4 Meg of Ram Required ( and then goes on to say more is better).

And it want about 10 megs of swap, but would prefer 24 megs.
In this instance,  the package seems to infer that anywhere from 3 to 6
times your memory would be good - if you had minimum ram.  It indicates int
he package that is needs a lot of swap space.

It also said it wouldn't run on a '486.  (Just threw that in - and
wondering exactly how they wrote the code that will make it not work on a
'486.  - argh!)

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP