SCO printer-devices

Wu Liu wul at sco.COM
Thu Apr 11 17:22:06 AEST 1991

/--iheitla at cs.vu.nl (Ilja Heitlager) said...
| Is there anybody who can tell me, how I can get my /dev/lp* back.
|
| I got a PS/2-m70 running SCO-ODT and recently I wanted to install a printer
| to my system(first time) so, as in the manual, I typed:
| 	date > /dev/lp0
| but I discovered that at my system it wasen't attached to lp0 but to lp1
| so 'date > /dev/lp1' worked.
| (sigh very nice the actual date on paper, hmmm).
| I saw that both /dev/lp and /dev/lp0 had 2 link's so I linked lp to lp1
| but only now lp lp0 lp1 had 3 links and sending to lp1 gave
| "/dev/lp1 cannot create", so I removed /dev/lp /dev/lp0 (not for young readers)
| and so I spend my days reading actual date on screen, every now and then
| (I believe in miracles) I type 'date >/dev/lp1' but then she answers
| "/dev/lp1 cannot create".
| I think a lot about those rudely destroyed lp and lp0,
| how can I get my printer working(at /dev/lp1) so she will write the actual date
| for me all day again.
\--

An 'ls -l' of /dev/lp* yields:

	crw-------   2 bin      bin        6,  0 Jun 13 1990 /dev/lp
	crw-------   2 bin      bin        6,  0 Jun 13 1990 /dev/lp0
	crw-------   1 bin      bin        6,  1 Jun 13 1990 /dev/lp1
	crw-------   1 bin      bin        6,  2 Jun 13 1990 /dev/lp2

Note that the devices are only writeable (and readable, but that's
less important) by uid bin.  In order for just anybody to be able
to send output to this device, you'd need to change the permissions
to 666.  This could be bad, though, since then anybody on your
system could send output to the printer at any time.

Why not just turn output banners off and use 'date | lp'?