fas 2.08 problems

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Thu Apr 25 03:17:51 AEST 1991

gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) writes:
   [problem, looks like too-long banner]

> I'm not sure, but I heard of uucicos that don't like long login banners
> and give up if there is no Shere=<sitename> message contained in a certain
> number of characters. That would also explain why this only happens
> with one of the UUCP sites...

The way I read the problem description, it wasn't clear whether the babble
was during the login sequence (the initial herald) or after login when
uucico is getting going (Uwe's speculation).  If it is the latter, there's
one long shot:  On BSDish systems, and some others, you can shut off most
of the post-login babble by putting a file named ".hushlogin" in the home
directory.  That would be something you'd have to request of the remote
site.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...While you were reading this, Motif grew by another kilobyte.