timed & named bugs on SCO (Was: Network Time Server)

John Pettitt jpp at specialix.co.uk
Tue Apr 16 16:13:34 AEST 1991

rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>I recently brought up timed on a couple of SCO Unix systems and an RS-6000,
>hoping to have a reliable, synchronized time source on my TCP/IP LAN.
>Instead, I have a bunch of synchronized systems which lose about a
>minute per day.  The SCO documentation doesn't say anything about how
>one sets up a reference time source; timed only serves the purpose of
>synchronization, and there's no way of telling it which system is "the"
>reference source.

Be very carful with SCO's timed.  If for any reason (such as a name
server timeout) it does not resolve the name of the master timed it
goes wild.  This blows away the system time which causes the TTL's
on the named files to expire thus causing timed to fail to resolve
the name of the master ... [ see recursive ].

We have had to kill all the timed's here until we can solve the problem.
(I just ftp'd source of ntp and timed from uunet - if I get an SCO version
working I will post patches)
--
John Pettitt, Specialix International,
Email: jpp at specialix.com Tel +44 (0) 9323 54254 Fax +44 (0) 9323 52781