Network Time Server

Klaus Steinberger k2 at bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de
Fri Apr 12 16:45:14 AEST 1991

rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:

>I recently brought up timed on a couple of SCO Unix systems and an RS-6000,
>hoping to have a reliable, synchronized time source on my TCP/IP LAN.
>Instead, I have a bunch of synchronized systems which lose about a
>minute per day.  The SCO documentation doesn't say anything about how
>one sets up a reference time source; timed only serves the purpose of
>synchronization, and there's no way of telling it which system is "the"
>reference source.

>How do I solve this problem?  I'm working for a company whose business
>is selling clocks, so needless to say, inaccurate clocks are particularly
>annoying to me ;=)

timed is the best method to get synchronized funny clocks.

Instead it's better to use ntp. (Network time protocol)
It can synchronize to a master clock. The master clock can be a stable
quartz clock, or even better a radio time standards.

There are many servers for ntp in the internet, and it's possible to
get a synchronized clock with a maximum error of 10 milliseconds.

Look into comp.protocols.time.ntp for more information.

Sincerely,
Klaus Steinberger

--
Klaus Steinberger               Beschleunigerlabor der TU und LMU Muenchen
Phone: (+49 89)3209 4287        Hochschulgelaende
BITNET: K2 at DGABLG5P             Internet: k2 at bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de