Simultaneous DMA

Brian Smith brians at eecs.cs.pdx.edu
Sat Apr 6 14:43:53 AEST 1991

The manual for Interactive Unix states that it is possible for some DMA chips
to malfunction when more than one allocated DMA channel is used simultaneously.
Is there any way to tell whether a motherboard has this defect?  One of the
boards in my system which uses DMA is the SCSI disk controller, so I'd rather
not test this under Unix and risk losing my filesystem.  Even a DOS program
to test for this problem would be fine.

My motherboard is the AMI Voyager 486-25.

Thanks,
Brian

Inet: brians at cs.pdx.edu
UUCP: tektronix!pdxgate!brians
Nine megs for the secretaries fair,     | One disk to rule them all,           |
Seven megs for the hackers scarce,      | One disk to bind them,               |
Five megs for the grads in smoky lairs, | One disk to hold the files           |
Three megs for system source;           | And in the darkness grind 'em.       |