SCO License security - another flame

Marc Unangst mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us
Tue Apr 30 10:49:31 AEST 1991

ralfi at pemcom.pem-stuttgart.de (Ralf U. Holighaus) writes:
> You could do so with SCO, and then usr /etc/brand for the system speci-
> fic files to 'brand' the new system to the new serial numbers.

No, you can't.  "brand" does just what its name implies -- it brands
the file permanently with a serial number.  It's impossible to
re-brand a file.

> On the other side: they obviously paid more attention to security than
> ISC. Or did you read hundreds of news messages concerning 'SCO security

No, they didn't.  They paid more attention to making sure that you
can't illegally copy their software, when they should have been paying
attention to things like X11R4, Motif 1.1, the BSD FFS, symbolic
links, System Vr4.0, a working telnet(1), real HDB UUCP, and commands
like su(1) and cron(1) that work the way I expect them to.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"