Buying UNIX for a clone

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.rn.com
Sun Apr 28 08:58:16 AEST 1991

lethin at ai.mit.edu (Richard A. Lethin) writes:

>SCO hasn't scheduled a compatible product for release 4; they're
>"monitoring the situation closely and waiting for a stable release,
>perhaps 4.1 before they start selling a product".

yep - I was told by their rep that R4 is too buggy and they
have no plans to issue a R4 product for at least the next 2 years

Heck, if it is so buggy - why don't they fix the bugs?  They didn't
have any hesitations releasing buggy code in ODT and Xenix in their
original releases.  If they want R4, they could turn their
programming efforts (again) in that direction.

>Dell will sell me a factory-installed version of System-V, release 4.
>I can also purchase a 3.2 UNIX.

yes - with a 30 day no questions asked return policy (which by
the way is unheard of in the industry)

>Interactive Systems Corp. Version 4 not available until Q1'92.

ISC will have R4 this summer (beta)

>2. What do people think about going with Release 4?

currently, the way to go if you care about the future --

have you checked into support?  ISC and SCO are in excess of $1200/year
(for package support) - Dell is $500.  ESIX is free.

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis