Buying UNIX for a clone

Bill Heiser bill at unixland.uucp
Mon Apr 29 01:59:33 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr28.130239.2062 at nstar.rn.com> larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>Oh, I'm not saying the "grass is greener" with ISC.  I tried calling
>Multiuser Systems (or whatever they call themselves these days - the
>ISC distributor in Hollis, NH) and their support was the pits.

I ran into the same problem with a company in Marlboro Mass.  I was
getting ready to buy Esix, and the salesman there was among the most obnoxious
people I've ever met.  He actually came out and said something like
"well, you're lucky I spent the time to show you this product."  If they
treat me that way before I've even bought the product, imagine how they'd
be for support later on!!

For either ISC or ESIX products and support, I recommend you call:
Burt Janz
Complete Computing Solutions of New England, Inc.
Nashua, NH   (603) 880-0842 voice, (603) 889-6154 FAX

Burt is very knowledgable about both products and provides good support.
I hope this doesn't sound too commercial;  I'm not affiliated with this co.

>On the other hand, I have called Dell and talked to the engineers
>doing the work.  There support is quite good, and my call's aren't
>filtered through others.

What is the cost of Dell support?  Do they support their OS if it is
running on non-Dell hardware?

>Also, the net here is an excellent way for technical support since
>many of us have been through situations and installation problems
>that are of use to others.

Yup, I sure agree on that one.  I've gotten lots of help from lots
of knowledgable and helpful people on the net.

--
bill at unixland.uucp                 The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
...!uunet!think!unixland!bill