ESIX (and other) SVR4

Len Reed lbr at holos0.uucp
Mon Apr 22 09:44:20 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr18.002451.1044 at alembic.acs.com> bill at alembic.acs.com (Bill Hatch) writes:

>We have been using Intel V.4 on a HP Vectra RS/C 20 Mhz for about 2 months.
 [much omitted]
>- There is a hard limit of 2 Mb on file size.  I tried to rebuild the
>  kernel to remove this restriction but was not successful.

Are you certain you don't have a low process ulimit that's being inherited?
If this is true it's an intolerable problem.  This is smaller than a
run-of-the-mill compressed tar or cpio archive containing a free program's
source: (perl, dmake, RCS, etc.)

>- The upper limit on addressable RAM is 16Mb.

Most 386 boards only handle 16 megabytes.  (I.e., the support circutry only
can deal with that; obviously the i386 can address far more.)  Still, this
seems like a restriction that could be limiting, espcially with a multi-user
i486 system.
--
Len Reed
Holos Software, Inc.