ESIX (and other) SVR4

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.on.ca
Sat Apr 20 13:33:41 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr17.214234.27954 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:

>> SCO apparently doesn't want SVR4.  I suspect they're going to be in for a
>> rather rude awakening....

>You might want to re-think that in context of the ACE "alliance".  One can
>argue whether it's good, or wise, or whether it will succeed, but they seem
>to have something in mind.  (I.e., they didn't just blow off V.4 with no
>other plan in mind.)

I don't think much of this "alliance". IMO, this group exists because
Microsoft doesn't want the RISC market dominated by UNIX (or OSF, or
anything resembling UNIX). Now that the workstation marketplace is
maturing and software is becoming available, Gates&Co want in. Here, SCO
is a minor, maybe even insignificant player, except to give credibility
to the launch.

I personally hope that Microsoft has as much success creating a market
for OS/2 on RISC systems as it has had to date with OS/2 on Intel 80x86
systems.

("Ah, why would you want that ratty ol' MIPS compiler, when you can have
our new Microsoft C?")

--
   Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
         evan at telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504