help with X386?

flinton at eagle.wesleyan.edu flinton at eagle.wesleyan.edu
Fri Apr 19 12:01:55 AEST 1991

In article <16183.2809bec1 at levels.sait.edu.au>, mareb at levels.sait.edu.au writes:

> ... VT100 function keys. xterm seems to send some quite odd strings:
>
> 	F1	ESC[11~
> 	F2	ESC[12~
>
> I have not been able to discover how or why this happens.

For what it's worth, DEC's own keyboards (well, their VT220 KB's in VT100 mode)
send as follows for the keys labeled by DEC as :
	 ESC [ 1 7 ~		F6
	 ESC [ 1 8 ~		F7
	 ESC [ 1 9 ~		F8
	 ESC [ 2 0 ~		F9
	 ESC [ 2 1 ~		F10
	 ESC         		F11 (ESC)
	 BS                  	F12 (BS)
	 LF              	F13 (LF)
	 ESC [ 2 6 ~		F14
	 ESC [ 2 8 ~		F15 (Help)
	 ESC [ 2 9 ~		F16 (Do)
	 ESC [ 3 1 ~		F17
	 ESC [ 3 2 ~		F18
	 ESC [ 3 3 ~		F19
	 ESC [ 3 4 ~		F20
The only ESC [ 1 2 commands I can find are the SRM (Send-Receive Mode)
commands ESC [ 1 2 h and ESC [ 1 2 l (for setting that mode off and on, resp.),
not sent by any keys. So I agree, something odd is happening with your xTerm.

-- Fred