Interested in Setting up UNIX on my 386

Shannon D. Appel appel at xcf.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Apr 10 22:07:07 AEST 1991

I have, sitting on my desk at home, an IBM 386sx with a super VGA
monitor, 5M of memory and a 40M hard drive.

I am interested in setting on UNIX on this box and then slipping it.

I would like some info on what all would be needed for this with costs
for the various things, if possible.  Specifically:

What is the best UNIX to grab for my box?  I've heard sco-unix bandied
around a lot.  I'd really prefer BSD though, if that were available, and
it would be nice to have something that I could compile MIT-X on with no
problems.

Suggested Hard Drive Size for your suggested UNIX?

How about memory?  What's a good amount to have on something that will
essentially be single user, with the possibility of a remote login once
in a while?

I'm also curious if there is an appletalk driver for the UNIX that
you suggest, for local networking.

e-mail preferred, since I suspect most people on this group really don't
want to here all of this.

Thx,
    Shannon