tape backup and sysv386

Robert Bernecky rbe at yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM
Wed Apr 10 01:56:44 AEST 1991

I have just installed ISC 386/ix on a 386sx machine (Intel 300sx).
I am new to Unix. I am in need of a fair hunk of disk space, and obtained
the following quote from R-squared in Englewood COlorado, after reading
a posting here.

Fujitsu 1.2 gig drive, or Wren 1.2 gig drive.
Adaptec 1542B scsi controller card.
2-drive cabinet
cables, terminators, etc.
2.5gb Exabyte 8mm tape drive.
Driver code included.

Costs $5055 USD

Questions:
1. Are these prices reasonable? (They seem fairly good to me, compared
   to Canadian prices)
2. Is R-squared a good company to deal with (No grey components, etc)?
3. Does this stuff run fairly well under ISC?
4. Are there better choices for this sort of hardware?

Thanks...
Bob

Robert Bernecky      rbe at yrloc.ipsa.reuter.com  bernecky at itrchq.itrc.on.ca
Snake Island Research Inc  (416) 368-6944   FAX: (416) 360-4694
18 Fifth Street, Ward's Island
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2B9
Canada