A Wangtek Quiz (what is this board?)

Martin Luddite luddite at dorsai.com
Sat Apr 13 10:35:51 AEST 1991

marc at dumbcat.sf.ca.us (Marco S Hyman) writes:

> A Wangtek quiz!
>
> I have an unknown wangtek tape drive and controller without documentation.
> The price was right (free) so I didn't complain too loudly when it was given
> to me.  However, I'd like to use it.  Perhaps there is a net.expert out there
> who can give me some help.
>
> The physical drive doesn't tell me much.  The PCB is ASSY 31040-002 Rev B.
> It has the usual power connector and a 50 finger edge connector. Between the
> power and edge connector is two two-pin headers labeled FA0 and FA1.  Below
> the edge connector is a two-pin header labeled E3.
>
> The controller is ASSY 30475-001 Rev C.  It looks like:
> I Have the cable that goes from the 50-pin header to the drive.  I can select
> an IRQ line.  The DRQ and DACK selections are labeled 1 through 3.  What I
> need to know is:
>
> * what is W1
> * what are the various DIP switches used for
> * How to DRQ and DACK relate to DMA channels
> * Can I use this thing with 386/ix 2.0.2
> * Will it interfere with my Adaptec SCSI controller
>
> Damn, I'm one ignorant individual when it comes to tape drives!  Any and all
> education on the subject will be appreciated.
> --
> // marc
> // home: marc at dumbcat.sf.ca.us		pacbell!dumbcat!marc
> // work: marc at ascend.com		uunet!aria!marc

Marc, your controller, the 30475-xxx is a Wangek PC-02/PC-36 tape drive
controller.  Your Tape drive, the 31040-xxx, is a Wangtek 150mb tape
drive (QIC-150).  This drive will accept normal 6150 tapes and
extended 6250 tapes.   It can also read QIC-60 tapes.  The controller
and drive go together, they are sold together as the PC-36 kit.

Jumper W1 is Ground Isolation, according to the Wangtek manual.  The
default is "installed".

The dip switches let you change your, I/O address (280H,288H,300H,
338H), your IRQ line select (IRQ 2-7). DRQ and DACK let you set
your DMA Channel settings.

Marc, you can use this drive with 386/ix. In fact 386/ix comes with
a tape (QIC-02) driver already installed in the kernal.

Marc, I strongly suggest that you get the following manual from
Wangtek, if you expect to install it properly.

Manual: User's Guide No. 63058-001 (mine is Rev. B)
Title: USER'S GUIDE, 5125PK/5150PK SERIES TAPE BACKUP SYSTEM

Wangtek's Address:

WANGTEK International
41 Moreland Road
Simi Valley, CA. 93065
Phone:(805)-583-5255
FAX:(805)-582-8249

I hope this helps you out a bit.  I didn't have time to go into
the details of the dip switch settings for your configuration because
I don't know exactly what your configuration is with regard to other
IRQ's being used on your machine, etc.  I would seriously advise you
to get that manual from Wangtek.