A Wangtek Quiz (what is this board?)

Marco S Hyman marc at dumbcat.sf.ca.us
Tue Apr 9 12:34:59 AEST 1991

A Wangtek quiz!

I have an unknown wangtek tape drive and controller without documentation.
The price was right (free) so I didn't complain too loudly when it was given
to me.  However, I'd like to use it.  Perhaps there is a net.expert out there
who can give me some help.

The physical drive doesn't tell me much.  The PCB is ASSY 31040-002 Rev B.
It has the usual power connector and a 50 finger edge connector. Between the
power and edge connector is two two-pin headers labeled FA0 and FA1.  Below
the edge connector is a two-pin header labeled E3.

The controller is ASSY 30475-001 Rev C.  It looks like:

        |                          50 pin header         |
	|      	       	       	       	       	       	 +-
	|						-|  mounting
	|					       5 |  bracket
	|					       0 |
	|					       p |
	|					       i |
	|		       10 pos DIP sw           n |
	|	     IRQ  DRQ DACK                      -|
	|	     ::::::::::::                     W1 |
        +--+					 +-------|
           |_____________________________________|	 |

I Have the cable that goes from the 50-pin header to the drive.  I can select
an IRQ line.  The DRQ and DACK selections are labeled 1 through 3.  What I
need to know is:

* what is W1
* what are the various DIP switches used for
* How to DRQ and DACK relate to DMA channels
* Can I use this thing with 386/ix 2.0.2
* Will it interfere with my Adaptec SCSI controller

Damn, I'm one ignorant individual when it comes to tape drives!  Any and all
education on the subject will be appreciated.
--
// marc
// home: marc at dumbcat.sf.ca.us		pacbell!dumbcat!marc