System V driver for Colorado Jumbo Tape Backup needed

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.uucp
Fri Apr 5 01:45:50 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr3.080955.21382 at cbnewsd.att.com> merlyn9 at cbnewsd.att.com (michael.t.sedwick) writes:

>  I have gone round and round with numerous differing persons at CMS, for over
>a year on just that; backup software for Sys V UNIX! How can a company sell a
>hardware product for $300.00 ($249.00 mail-order), then turn around & tell
>UNIX users they REQUIRE a $200.00 piece of software to access this device?

Easy.   They have you by the "Johnsons" (see Police Academy for that phrase)

On a similar problem with another tape vendor, I could not get new drivers
for an upgrade of the OS, and was told they had not decided to do such.
My flame here at least got a reply from tech support, and now I get
conflicting reports.

But what I now do is buy NOTHING that is not supported directly in the OS
WITHOUT vendor supplied add-ons, UNLESS that manufacturer is targetting
specifically toward a multi-user/Unix market places.

If Unix is an aftermarket to a DOS based product you will always come last,
if at all.

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP