System V driver for Colorado Jumbo Tape Backup needed

leo at aai.com leo at aai.com
Mon Apr 8 02:30:57 AEST 1991

bill at bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) writes:

>In article <1991Apr3.080955.21382 at cbnewsd.att.com> merlyn9 at cbnewsd.att.com (michael.t.sedwick) writes:
>
>>  I have gone round and round with numerous differing persons at CMS, for over
>>a year on just that; backup software for Sys V UNIX! How can a company sell a
>>hardware product for $300.00 ($249.00 mail-order), then turn around & tell
>>UNIX users they REQUIRE a $200.00 piece of software to access this device?

>Easy.   They have you by the "Johnsons" (see Police Academy for that phrase)

>On a similar problem with another tape vendor, I could not get new drivers
>for an upgrade of the OS, and was told they had not decided to do such.
>My flame here at least got a reply from tech support, and now I get
>conflicting reports.

>But what I now do is buy NOTHING that is not supported directly in the OS
>WITHOUT vendor supplied add-ons, UNLESS that manufacturer is targetting
>specifically toward a multi-user/Unix market places.

Yeah, I don't understand why people buy these CMS Jumbos.  I guess they're
taken in by the advertising.  When I put my system together I wanted
disk/tape reliability and support in the OS, so I went with the Adaptec
1542B and Archive 2150S and haven't had any trouble at all.  Nice and fast
too!

Sure, I called CMS and asked about their product.  But when I heard about
the $200 driver required for unix and considered backing up at floppy
rates, I just said NO!  I bought a reconditioned Archive for $385 from
Datek.

Plus I can easily add additional disks, tapes, CD-ROM, DAT, etc.  I also
have a high degree of confidence that this combination will continue to be
supported in future unix releases.
--
Leo	leo at aai.com   leo%aai at uunet.uu.net   ...uunet!aai!leo