ISC2.2 and uugetty-does it work?

Gary Coffman gary at ke4zv.UUCP
Tue Apr 16 07:13:07 AEST 1991

In article <41212 at cup.portal.com> dstein at cup.portal.com (Doug Mr-Science Stein) writes:
>I would like to set up a bidirectional serial port to allow a modem to work
>as either a dial-in or dial-out line.  As I recall, early versions of ISC's
>uugetty program (pre-version 2.2) were broken and never worked properly.

It may still be broken, but since the X5 patchlevel to 2.02 and in 2.21
you don't need to use uugetty at all. Simply hang a regular getty on the
port. When you dial out, the *driver* will automatically lock the getty
off for the duration of your call then respawn the getty after your call
is completed. Works like a charm. You must use the acux or tty0x device for
out bound calls and hang your getty on the ttydx device where x is the
port number. The driver code will take care of the rest.

Gary