ISC2.2 and uugetty-does it work?

Fred Walter fred at walter.uucp
Mon Apr 15 12:46:34 AEST 1991

dstein at cup.portal.com (Doug Mr-Science Stein) writes:
>Rather than spending a great deal of time only to potentially discover the
>same thing, can anyone tell me if they have:
>	a) successfully set up a bidirectional modem under ISC 2.2?

Yes.

>	b) been able to set it up without performing major backflips?

Once I figured out that the default stuff ended up setting up the /etc/inittab
file incorrectly, it was easy. Modify /etc/conf/init.d/asy to read something
like :

00:23:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t 60 /dev/tty00 19200
01:23:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t 60 /dev/tty01 19200

Put an 'off' in place of the 'respawn' on the port you don't want uugetty
running on.

Make sure you've got the above two lines (after you've modified them) in your
/etc/inittab file. Make sure that you don't have any other lines with the
same 'unique' identifier (the first two characters) in the /etc/inittab
file. For example, /etc/conf/cf.d/init.base has a line with a 00 in it.
Delete it, so it doesn't conflict. (Make backups first of the files you'll
be changing of course :-)

Make sure that your /usr/lib/uucp/Devices file uses the same /dev/tty0?'s
that you're using above.

Make sure that who ever is calling you knows that they'll have to press
return several times to get the attention of uugetty (IE to get a login
prompt).

If you've a smart enough modem, I suggest locking the line speed between
the computer and the modem.

	fred
School address : grwalter at watmath.waterloo.edu
Home   address : watmath.uwaterloo.ca!xenitec!walter!fred

Can you say "Thesis Avoidance" boys and girls ?