Buying UNIX for a clone

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.rn.com
Sun Apr 28 12:29:47 AEST 1991

jamesd at techbook.com (James Deibele) writes:

>>Interactive Systems Corp. Version 4 not available until Q1'92.

>Is that '92 or '91?  I thought that Interactive basically was going to re-label
>Intel's 4.0.

I thought the same thing.  ISC actually obtained complete source code
from AT&T (SVR4 3.0) and is doing a complete port (without using the
Intel code).

Their first release is due out this summer, with production release
due out 1Q 92

>I've seen basically good things about Dell 4.0, and I wouldn't trust Microport
>especially true given some of the horror stories about customer support.  I

Ditto.

>like the attitude of ESIX towards customer support: call them, tell them your
>problem, and they help you fix it.  No $500 or $600 support contracts, no
>reciting of mother's maiden name, or the 25-digit number on the 15th disk
>that you have locked in the closet.

In regards to ESIX,
I have heard stories of long waits getting to tech support, and getting
support folks who don't know the answers and don't return phone calls.
--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis