Changing hard disk partitions

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Tue Apr 23 23:19:19 AEST 1991

peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>In article <1991Apr13.164855.1252 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>> for a 140MB disk I would compine /root and /usr so that they share
>> tmp space.

>And I'd suggest the opposite for any disk over 40 MB. Why combine them?

By combining them you share the extra space that you need to allocate for
building kernels, /usr/spool, /usr/tmp, and /tmp.  Otherwise you have to
calculate what you think you will need and never be able to go over in either
partition.

>You can also turn the DOS partition into a UNIX partition, since the partition
>start is an absolute offset from the start of the disk just edit
>/etc/partitions appropriately and mkfs. ("just" he says).

If this actually can be done, I wouldn't recommend it because a year from
now when you come up with a need for a dos partition and see that a portion
of the disk is not allocated in the partition table, you might forget
that it is used for unix and fdisk a dos partition on top of it.
--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170