Changing hard disk partitions

Tim Wright tim at dell.co.uk
Wed Apr 24 21:39:57 AEST 1991

In <1991Apr23.131919.8083 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>You can also turn the DOS partition into a UNIX partition, since the partition
>>start is an absolute offset from the start of the disk just edit
>>/etc/partitions appropriately and mkfs. ("just" he says).

>If this actually can be done, I wouldn't recommend it because a year from
>now when you come up with a need for a dos partition and see that a portion
>of the disk is not allocated in the partition table, you might forget
>that it is used for unix and fdisk a dos partition on top of it.

You can't do that. When you change the dos partition into a UNIX partition,
you have to change fdisk to reflect that it is a UNIX partition. DOS won't
let you delete it as it's "non-DOS". So, you're quite safe. Having said that,
it's messy and I'd always recommend re-installing for the reasons Conor has
already outlined.

Tim
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim at dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast - Red Dwarf