Sendmail under ODT 1.1 doesn't take stdin correctly

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Tue Apr 23 04:29:44 AEST 1991

	Like many, I was so frustrated with the MMDF email component of
ODT 1.0 that I simply pulled it off the system. Well, we just received a
new system (ODT 1.1) and are playing with the sendmail component (which
may still interface to mmdf) and have encountered the following:

1.  If I send text of even modest size into sendmail, the resulting
message includes the Date:, From:, Sender:, and Message-ID: lines at the
*end* of the text. Examples:

	% cat /etc/group | /usr/lib/sendmail odt
	% /usr/lib/sendmail odt < /etc/group

2.  Echoing into sendmail results in a failed posting. Example:

	% echo how now brown cow | /usr/lib/sendmail odt
	No valid author specification present

	Mind you, I don't particularly care for sendmail, but we'd like
to show that our email package at leasts coexists with sendmail/mmdf.
The above examples *do* work as expected under ISC with both sendmail
and smail.