Line printers under ISC

Chris Lewis clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca
Tue Apr 16 14:20:18 AEST 1991

In article <454 at octelb.octel.UUCP> richard at octel.UUCP (Richard Karasik) writes:
|Im having problems using laserjets with various formatters. The line printer
|interface command eventually cats the files to a program called utod.

|This utod prints stuff out on the laserjet, but I can find no documentation about
|utod.  IF I print microsoft word documents, things look ok. If I try to print say
|xroff, or troff documents things look weird -the letters i and l are missing.

|Typically the purveyors of 'roff alikes tell me that I have to set
|opost cs8 and the like. I do, but it appears to have no effect. I think because
|possibly utod is "metabolically disadvantaged" in this regard ...

|I set the cs8 etc using lpadmin commands -is there another where to do this to
|gain better effect?.

If xroff or your troff downloads fonts, you really want "-opost", not "opost",
and replace utod with cat.  According to others, utod converts newlines
to newlines and carriage returns - which will bugger up font downloads.
As will "opost".
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Internet: clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca
UUCP: uunet!mitel!cunews!latour!ecicrl!clewis; Ferret Mailing List:
ferret-request at eci386; Psroff (not Adobe Transcript) enquiries:
psroff-request at eci386 or Canada 416-832-0541.  Psroff 3.0 in c.s.u soon!