Line printers under ISC

Richard Karasik richard at octel.UUCP
Sat Apr 13 03:27:33 AEST 1991

Im having problems using laserjets with various formatters. The line printer
interface command eventually cats the files to a program called utod.

This utod prints stuff out on the laserjet, but I can find no documentation about
utod.  IF I print microsoft word documents, things look ok. If I try to print say
xroff, or troff documents things look weird -the letters i and l are missing.

Typically the purveyors of 'roff alikes tell me that I have to set
opost cs8 and the like. I do, but it appears to have no effect. I think because
possibly utod is "metabolically disadvantaged" in this regard ...

I set the cs8 etc using lpadmin commands -is there another where to do this to
gain better effect?.

Thanks
Richard