Can't get X386 to Work

Chin Fang fangchin at leland.Stanford.EDU
Fri Apr 12 18:22:10 AEST 1991

In article <179 at bria.UUCP> mike at bria.UUCP (Mike Stefanik/81920) writes:
>In an article, silver.ucs.indiana.edu!mitchemt (Terry Mitchem) writes:
>|I forgot to ask about this in my first post.  What format are the
>|man pages in? I got files such as xwud.n.z.  Are these compressed or what?
>|I tried renaming it so xwud.n.Z and compress said the file was not in
>|compressed format. Thanks in advance, Terry
>
>Files with a lower-case '.z' are usually compressed using the pack(1) tool,
>while an upper-case '.Z' indicated the compress(1) tool.

I did a strings /usr/bin/X11/xman |grep pcat just to assure myself that
Thomas compiled in pcat in xman.  Yes he did.  The original MIT source
uses compress(1).  So I think if anyone wants to use *.Z format, the building
the original probably is the way to go.

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University