Saber-C for 386 unix

Ravinder Dhiman dhiman at motcid.UUCP
Thu Apr 11 20:59:06 AEST 1991

ckp at grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:

>In article <1991Apr7.002207.11554 at emisle.uucp> emisle!dvb writes:
[...Questions concerning Saber C availability on 386 Unix...]

>Some years ago I asked Saber about doing a 386 Unix version.  They stated
>that the 386 was too slow; they said they had a VAXstation version,
>using the MicroVAX II chip, and it was far too slow, so they vowed never
>to do it on another slow platform again.
[...]

Apparently they changed their mind about the 386 being too slow
(sort of).  I used Saber C on a Sun 386i workstation last year
at my previous place of employment.  Of course, the 386i runs SunOS,
so it could be that they have not ported it to the particular HW/SW
combination of 386/SysV.

BTW: This particular 386i was a 20MHz, no coproc,
12MB RAM configuration.

Interesting package, but kind of expensive from what I recall.

---
Ravi Dhiman			| Disclaimer: I don't speak for
Motorola, Inc. M/S IL27-2232	|	      Motorola.
Cellular Infrastructure Group	|
Arlington Hts, IL 60004		|