root and boot floppy on ISC

Brandon Brown brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 15 23:02:48 AEST 1991

jim at crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fuller) writes:

>     But you *can't* hack a copy of the boot floppy itself (even though it's
>cloneable by either dd or DOS diskcopy) because it isn't mountable, because
>mount doesn't recognize it as containing any kind of valid filesystem.  It
>isn't 1K, it isn't 2K, it isn't DOS, it isn't XENIX, and that's all the types
>of filesystem that come with ISC.  fstyp(1M) can't make head or tail of the
>boot floppy.  Has anyone got any idea what it is?

I'm sure a billion people will correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the kernel
actually on the first floppy? I think you are using the wrong device when
you are trying to mount it. You are probably using f0q15dt. The "t" on the
end tells it to look at the entire floppy. If you leave off the "t" for
f0q15d, you should be able to fsck, mount, etc. the filesystem on the root;
the one with /unix on it. Of course, for all "normal" operations like doing
dumps to floppies, you should use the "dt" device.

|  Brandon Brown                     | Internet: brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu    |
|  Coordinated Science Laboratory    | UUCP:	 uiucuxc!addamax!brando!brown |
|  University of Illinois            | CompuServe: 73040,447                  |
|  Urbana, IL  61801                 | GEnie:    macbrando                    |