SCO Unix not ARPing on ethernet

James J Dempsey jjd at bbn.com
Sat Apr 13 06:02:14 AEST 1991

I managed to get my TCP mostly working by reinstalling OpenDesktop
from scratch.  Unfortunately, the only way I can get a connection is
to install (by hand) an entry in the SCO's ARP table for the remote
host and in the remote host's ARP table for the SCO.  It appears that
the SCO system isn't using ARP at all.

What good is an ethernet TCP system without ARP?  The man page for
ifconfig says that ARP is configured in /etc/strcf.  However, I can't
make heads or tails of /etc/strcf.

Does anyone know how to enable ARP on an SCO OpenDesktop system?  If
it matters, the hardware is a Compaq 386/33L and a WD8003 ethernet
board.  We are on a Class B ethernet.

Thank you for any help you can provide,

		--Jim Dempsey--
		jjd at bbn.com