Fred Rump fred at compu.com
Fri Apr 19 03:59:16 AEST 1991

pauld at stowe.cs.washington.edu (Paul Barton-Davis) writes:

>\begin{summary}
>I support the notion that for word-processing it might work, but for
>systems programming and serious Unix users, its a joke.
>\end{summary}

        Let me ask you just one thing. Who do you think SCO and other
        *UNIX resellers market to?

        OK, another. Where do they get their money to pay their
        programmers etc?

        The check is ultimately paid by the customer. We all work for
        him.

        Nobody is out there marketing and fussing for 'systems'
        programmers as there will never ever be a perfect world for such
        people. It's the nature of the beast.

        As far as serious UNIX users - who the hell are they? Is that the
        person who never smiles while running accounts receivable? How
        serious can one get running a piece of computer software?
        Remember, the idea is never to run UNIX. It is to accomplish a
        task whose ultimate goal is to help produce a better bottom line.

        The best advice for people who are so full of knowledge about the
        faults of a system is to sell somebody else on the idea to make
        it better. There should be tons of money available for the better
        mousetrap - if it could produce a better balance sheet.

        fred

--
Fred Rump              | Home of Brother John Software
CompuData, Inc.        | SCO Advanced Product Center