Variable alignment in Unix Pascal

Heidi de Wet heidi at ucthpx.uct.ac.za
Tue Apr 16 17:48:27 AEST 1991

I am involved in a project porting a large Pascal application from
an 8086-based system to Interactive Unix on a 386.  One of the
requirements of the project is binary-level compatibility of files.

The original software was written in Intel's Pascal-86, which uses
byte-alignment for all data types.  Unfortunately, our Unix Pascal
compiler (LPI) uses 16-bit alignment only.  This makes it extremely
difficult to access our files, which use complicated variant records.

I see the C compiler on our system supports options for specifying
packing boundaries: -Zp[1|2|4] and #pragma pack.  Does anyone know
of a Unix Pascal compiler which supports similar options?  Apart from
this, we only need support of ISO standard Pascal plus separate
compilation.

In desperation,
Heidi
--