a better analogy for the warranty discussion?

Super user root at equinox.UUCP
Mon Apr 1 23:34:07 AEST 1991

>For software, requiring that the package be returned in all the original
>packaging with all the manuals, flyers, and disks.  Not only does this
>make it easier to repackage for resale, it notifies the customer that if
>he's gonna take the software for a trial, he better take care of it.
>That coupled with requiring an RA should handle the casual and/or
>ridiculous people.  Ultimately, so a few slip through, big deal.
>
>Whether one thinks this will work or not depends a lot in your view of
>human nature.  I happen to believe that most people will be honest
>and ethical if given a chance to do so.
>
>John
>
>--
>John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
When Arnet was trying to get its computer system sales going, we had
a meeting to figure out someway to emphasize our service & reliability.
Someone, (I don't remember who), suggested a Lifetime Satisfaction
Guaranteed on the computer system (similar to Arnet's Lifetime guarantee
on their boards).

You can't guarantee a system like you can a board, of course. There are
moving parts that will, fail. You could guarantee satisfaction, though.
If a hard drive failed after four years, it wouldn't be materially
covered. "Stuff" happens...

Service & Tech. Support were against it. But the rest of us were very
enthusiastic about it. We agreed with John, just look at a company like
LL Bean that offers lifetime satisfaction for its products. Whoever
returns any?? Within a day or two, we'd swung service and support
around. Then to be sure, we each called a couple VARS. They hated
the idea. "What are you going to do when a faster machine comes out
and the user wants to return his old, slower machine?" said one
Nashville VAR to me. He continued: "You don't sell much into endusers.
Last month I had an enduser want to return a computer system because
he didn't want to read the documentation!" Everybody else kinda got
the same response. It was a beautiful idea, but it was scrapped.

Software's a little different. I had an unpleasant experience when I
tried upgrading with an Excelan TCP/IP driver. The old driver and Excelan
board hadn't ever been used. When I tried installing it on Xenix 2.3,
it wouldn't work. Tech Support told me I needed a new driver. They
couldn't give me one. So I got transferred. THEY WANTED TO CHARGE ME
OVER $750 FOR A DRIVER!! For a product that had never worked! To make
matters worse, "three to four weeks for delivery". For $750 bucks I'd
have the disks copied in 10 minutes! What are they using, express
tortoise!?

The right way: WordPerfect Corporation. Enough said.