malloc() problems

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Tue Apr 9 00:04:42 AEST 1991

rwhite at nusdecs.uucp (Robert White) writes:
>In short, before you go trying to reverse-engineer your malloc(3) library
>you should review the pointer usages in all your source and home-grown
>libraries.  Functions most likley to blame are things like strcat, getstr,

If you read his message again, you will see that he knew that it was probably
a problem in his code, but the standard malloc did not have enough debugging
capabilities to track this down.

>and the like.  Anyplace you pass a pointer to an aray that will be written on
>without the size of the aray you should be suspicious.

Yes and it may take you a long time to track down (especially if it
is not all your own code).  That is why I put together the debugging version
of the library.  It makes tracking down malloc problems much much easier.
--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170