Does ESIX still not support RLL?

David Kessner david at kessner.denver.co.us
Tue Apr 23 13:02:37 AEST 1991

In article <3080 at cirrusl.UUCP> Rahul Dhesi <dhesi at cirrus.COM> writes:
>>The myth that ESIX doesn't support RLL controllers is a bit of marketing
>>hype.
>
>How can ESIX even know whether the controller uses RLL?  How can
>anybody find this out without ripping the disk apart and analyzing the
>bit-patterns stored on the platter?
>--
>Rahul Dhesi <dhesi at cirrus.COM>
>UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

I am using an Adaptec RLL controler with ESIX 3.2.2d...  ESIX _KNOWS_ that
it is using an RLL drive-- and tells me that everytime it gives me:

"NOTICE: Adapter RLL Disk Unit 1 (System disk 1): optimization changed from..."

I dont know how it knows what type of drive it is-- or how/when to change
the optimization-- but it does.  Quite well in fact...

BTW:  Why does it change the optimization 'algorithm' anyway?  It does it
about once a day, and I'd like to know why...
--
David Kessner - david at kessner.denver.co.us            | do {
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) |    . . .