Does ESIX still not support RLL?

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.edu
Fri Apr 26 06:01:15 AEST 1991

In article <3087 at cirrusl.UUCP> Rahul Dhesi <dhesi at cirrus.COM> writes:
=The following is directed not towards Bill, but towards many Usenet
=users who assume that RLL is some sort of disk interface standard.
=It's not!  It's just a way of putting bit patterns on the disk
=surface.  And it wasn't invented by Adaptec either.  RLL means "run
=length limited" -- a way of recording bits such that you never have
=more than m consecutive raw ones or n consecutive raw zeroes.  Tape

In fact, what we call RLL here is actually only one of many possible RLL
schemes.  I believe that the "proper" name is "RLL 2,7."  And if I
haven't lost too many brain cells, I think I recall that MFM is RLL 1,3.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math