Does ESIX still not support RLL?

Bill Pechter bill at pyrite.nj.pyramid.com
Fri Apr 26 01:58:02 AEST 1991

In article <3087 at cirrusl.UUCP> Rahul Dhesi <dhesi at cirrus.COM> writes:

>I wrote:
>
>     How can ESIX even know whether the controller uses RLL?  How can
>     anybody find this out without ripping the disk apart and analyzing
>     the bit-patterns stored on the platter?

Once again, (no flame intended) all the MFM controllers I've seen use
no more than 17 sectors per track.  All the RLL, ARLL, and other types
use more than 17.  So Esix has no way of knowing how you encode the data on
the disk... it does expect up to 17 sectors/track on standard PC controllers
for ST412/506 controllers.

The method of writing bit patterns is totally hidden from the OS.  That IS a
controller function.  You're correct.  However, they're very careful to say
that they don't support anything other than MFM type ST412/506 controllers.

They are just saying buyer beware to all of us with non WD1002/3 type controllers
for ST412 drives.

I'm checking with Perstor about my controller revs and it's suitability with
ESIX.

Bill
--
Bill Pechter                       | "The postmaster always pings twice."
Pyramid Technology                 | bill at pyrite.nj.pyramid.com
10 Woodbridge Center Drive         | rutgers!pyrnj!pyrite!bill
Woodbridge, NJ 07095 (908)602-6308 | pyramid!pyrnj!pyrite!bill