David Van Beveren dvb at emisle.uucp
Fri Apr 26 17:04:24 AEST 1991

In article <I-XAL55 at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1991Apr16.183342.10185 at compu.com> fred at compu.com (Fred Rump) writes:
>> dvb at emisle.uucp (David Van Beveren) writes:
>> >The one-line summary is this: People who have SCO Unix are satisfied with it.
>
>>         Reading the various responses I get a different message back.
>>         It seems that satisfied is a bit of an understatement.
>
>Reading the responses, I get a different message back. It seems that SCO is
>as buggy as all hell, but if you never do anything but run canned stuff
>you never excersize the bugs.
>--

Thank you. I was trying to give SCO the benefit of the doubt.

In general, people who have a product become accustomed to it and therefore
satisfied with it. This is the case with SCO customers I believe. If you read
the comments people sent me, the general theme is this:

XXX works okay, once you get used to it. I am happy with it.
XXX=c2
etc.

??? Why are you happy with it if it took time to get used to ???

XXX doesn't work, but they give you YYY (or, but YYY is PD)
(XXX = csh, YYY=ksh)
(XXX = cc,  YYY=gcc)
(XXX = X11R3 YYY=Roell X11R4)
etc.

If the people who sent those notes would read them again, and be objective,
they would see what I mean. How can you recommend something, then say you
don't even use it, (like cc, csh) or give some other disclaimer?

The point about word processing should be taken as follows:
Every unix can take a set of terminals and a bunch of word processsors. We here
on the net are looking at other, more difficult things like networking,
code development and system administration. Here is where SCO falls short.

Final point about my customer. I have had nothing to do so far with the SCO
installation, I am working on another project. I was asked for some advice.
That is where my original query came from.

I believe SCO with gcc, smail, Roell from the PD and VPIX from ISC is an OK
setup. I don't think there is a satisfactory networking solution for any
PC unix. Of course, I have been dealing with Decstations and SPARCstations
recently, so I am used to stuff working out of the box :=)

>Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter at ferranti.com
>+1 713 274 5180.  'U`  "Have you hugged your wolf today?"

P.S. The summary generated more interest than the original query. Where were
these comments when the original question was asked?
The point about word processing should be takes as follows:

--
David Van Beveren                           INTERNET: emisle!dvb at ism.isc.com
EIS ltd. Professional Software Services     UUCP:   ..uunet!emisle!dvb