The swich with daylight savings time

Usenet news administrator news at rushpc
Thu Apr 11 03:04:09 AEST 1991

In article <9604 at star.cs.vu.nl> rvdp at cs.vu.nl (Ronald van der Pol) writes:
>>I have noticed that some of my cron jobs are running an hour later
>>than they are normally run. Example uucp.cleanup is supposed to
>>run at 23:45 but it is running at 00:45 instead. This has occured
>>since the swich to EDT. The system swiched the time on sunday
>>just like we would change the clocks automaticly. Now not all the
>>jobs are running late just some. Have I come across a bug with
>>SCO UNIX SYS V/386 Rel. 3.2.2. Or is there something that I should
>
>I think so. We run SCO 3.2.2 too :-( and our times are completely wrong:
>
>- it is 14:15 MET DST at the moment
>- 'date' says it is 13:15 MET
>- localtime(3) says it is 18:15 MET
>- our TZ is 'MET-1MET DST,M3.5.0,M9.5.0'
>
>What is going on here??

I had a similar problem with my system.  I'm running AT&T SVR3.2.3 and
I'm in the Mountain Time Zone, TZ=MST7MDT.  The shell script /etc/TIMEZONE
reflected this and was always run out of /etc/profile at login time.
However, all my cron jobs and localtime() reflected the Eastern Timezone.
Finally I found a file, "/etc/default/login".  The Users/Administrators
guide documents this and I was going to quote it but, someone has walked
off with my manual. There is an entry in "/etc/default/login" that
should correspond to "/etc/TIMEZONE", ie TIMEZONE=MST7MDT, in my case.
If you have to change this entry to correspond with "/etc/TIMEZONE", I
believe you should re-boot.  Also, with cron jobs, I've seen the following
in crontabs.

	30 1 * * * /etc/TIMEZONE;job.sh

where job.sh was the cron job we're interested in.  Running /etc/TIMEZONE
first, sets up the TZ variable for job.sh.  This however does not affect
when job.sh is run.

--

John
----