configuring FAS

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Mon Apr 29 10:37:13 AEST 1991

bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>I've installed FAS 2.08 on my ESIX machine, and need to make a change as
>described in the README.  I need to make it so HUPCL will be set so
>carrier will drop when users log out.  Here is an excerpt from the
>README:
>
>     - Note: If a device is carrier controlled, this implies the generation
>             of a SIGHUP signal with every carrier high->low. This is of
>             course only true if the CLOCAL flag is *not* set.
>
>             On my own system I prefer a minor device number of `0101xxxx'
>             (80 + device #) for the non-blocking tty node and `1101xxxx'
>             (208 + device #) for the blocking tty node. This gives me
>             the SIGHUP signal on carrier loss and full duplex hardware
>             flow control with both logical devices. Dialout while a dialin
>             open is waiting for the carrier is also possible with this
>             setup.
>
>This looks like what I need to configure.  I really don't know how (or
>where) to set the bit masks.  How is this done?

It is the default configuration. So you don't need to do anything.

You should differentiate between the case where the modem tells the
computer that it hung up the line (DCD drop), and the case where the
compter tells the modem that it should hang up (DTR drop). The first
is controlled by the CLOCAL flag, and works only for ports that have
modem control. The latter is controlled by the HUPCL flag.

>From your previous postings I had the impression that your problem
is that your computer doesn't tell the modem to hang up. This has
nothing to do with CLOCAL and modem control, but rather with HUPCL.
But I still have no idea what's going wrong on your system. On other
ESIX systems FAS 2.08 works as expected. There has to be some detail
that you didn't tell us yet. For instance, did you check the state
of the HUPCL flag just before the logout? Maybe one of your programs
clears this flag.

      Uwe
Uwe Doering  |  INET : gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Germany      |  UUCP : ...!unido!fub!geminix.in-berlin.de!gemini