ESIX 4.0

Robert den Hartog rden at rden.gen.nz
Sat Apr 20 13:51:10 AEST 1991

In article <280E7DFC.19B8 at telly.on.ca> evan at telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>In article <1991Apr15.231949.4760 at Topsail.ORG> cmurcko at Topsail.ORG (Chuck Murcko) writes:

 [ content deleted ]

>As a prime ESIX dealer in Canada, we received a lengthy fax recently
>which describes the ESIX 4.0 product.

 [ ... ]

>The floppy distribution, I'm told, comes on more than 100 diskettes.
>ESIX is moving towards using QIC-60 cartridges whenever possible.

Over 100 diskettes?  Why is SVR4 so much larger then SvR3.2?  (about 4 times)
Can we assume then the contents aren't compressed?

Are the other SVR4 distributions as large, (DELL, UHC etc,) and does they
include all of the same features ie

>(Note: ESIX 4.0 carries over all the features of generic UNIX Release 4, as
>well as ESIX release 3.2. This is a minimal list, and may include features
>which are available in releases of V4 from other vendors):
>
>X Windows Version 11.4, with support for both Open Look and Motif 1.1.
>Graphics adaptors supported by ESIX 3.2 are supported in 4.0, as well as
>monochrome Hercules adapters and graphics cards based on the TI 34010.
>X11/NeWS is also included;
>
>SLIP support is provided over COM1: and COM2:;
>
>Full BSD socket (as well as System V TLI) libraries;
>
>As mentioned, on-line man pages (*not* in troff source form);
>
>TCP/IP, RFS, and NFS;
>
>OA&M system administration software;
>
>Support for SCSI, ESDI, IDE, RLL and MFM drives;
>
>The ANSI C compiler generates either COFF or ELF binary formats;

I have heard that the SVR4 kernal is eccesively large, (and some people are
complaining about minor kernal bloat from Nortons and such like, but thats
another thread.)  How much larger is the SVR4 kernal?  And, _if it is a *lot*
fatter, why?_

Of the distribution set, how large (approx), are the packages, ie base system,
dev system, X11 etc?  (In floppies/megabytes)  Is the boot floppy now two, like
SCO Unix?

NFS is a fairly costly item, and isn't in my required list, why is it bundled
in?  (I bet there are other people who don't need it either.  This would also
be true for the dev sys.)

Finally (for now) is the text processing package included or available?  (Ok,
I know some people will say use TeX for nothing, blah blah, to you people, why
does so much of the free software on the net still come with *roff format docs)
--
Why do we have alarm clocks?  Surely God meant for us to sleep longer.

Hey, have a nice one.   Robert den Hartog. {rden|robert}@{rden|mercury}.gen.nz
	 ...If it don't work, yell it, I like bang paths, they work.