SVR4: postio filter and /dev/lp---Does it work?

Richard Ducoty duc at mport.COM
Tue Apr 30 07:13:09 AEST 1991

lee at mport.COM (Lee Crocker) writes:

>witr at rwwa.COM (Robert Withrow) writes:

>>Has *anyone* gotten *any* postscript printer to work with SVR4?

>We at Microport use an Apple Laserwriter with our SVR4.  It is on a 9600
>bps serial connection, and I used the following setup procedure:

You have to use a serial connection if you want to use Postscript on
SVR4, using the lp system that is!

You can cat the file, pipe it through the proper filter (postprint, dpost,
etc) and redirect it to /dev/lp - if you have a parallel setup.  I have
a Postscript cartridge in a HP LaserJet II with a parallel connection -
it works alright.  I do have to send ^D to the printer between jobs
or else it prints blank pages.  I wrote a little script - I think it
goes like the following ( it's at home and I'm here)

echo \004 > /dev/lp0

Richard

Richard Ducoty		        \\\\\\\
Microport Inc.		          (.)(.) 			root at mport.com
voice=> (408) 438-8649	             >	 		  	duc at mport.com
fax=>   (408) 438-7560		    -				uunet!mport!duc
                          " militiae species amor est "