SVR4: postio filter and /dev/lp---Does it work?

Andy Crump andyc at bucky.intel.com
Fri Apr 26 20:04:09 AEST 1991

witr at rwwa.COM (Robert Withrow) writes:

>Has *anyone* gotten *any* postscript printer to work with SVR4?

Yep.  Here's the info you need.  There is certainly missing info in
the SVR4 documentation and some bugs still lurking.  This info works
on an Apple laserwriter, QMS PS-810, and HP laserjetII with postscript
cartidge for sure.  Your mileage may vary with other postscript
printers.

Here's the scoop (do all this as root):

0) Be sure that your printer is connect to a SERIAL line and not a
parallel one.

1) Configure the printer queue as such:

	a) lpadmin -p {name of queue} -v /dev/tty01 -T PS -I PS
                                           ^ name of serial port you are using.
	b) lpadmin -d {name of queue} [optional, make this the default printer]

2) Create a text file (/tmp/foo) that looks like this:

Input types: postdown
Output types: PS
Printer types: PS
Printers: any
Filter type: fast
Command: /usr/lib/lp/postscript/postio -q

3) type the command :
	lpfilter -f postio -F /tmp/foo

4) Enable and accept the printer:

	accept {name of queue}
	enable {name of queue}

5) just to be sure:

	lpshut
	/usr/lib/lpsched

6) To print a ascii file:

	lp -d {name of queue} filename

  Try: lp /etc/passwd

7) To print a postscript file:

	lp -d {name of queue} -Tpostscript filename

8) to print a troff file (via /usr/ucb/troff):

	lp -d {name of queue} -Ttroff file

This works fine for us.  Let me know if you have any problems.
--

    -- Andy Crump

    ...!tektronix!reed!littlei!andyc | andyc at littlei.intel.com
    ...!uunet!littlei!andyc          | andyc at littlei.uu.net

Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed here are my own and
            not representive of Intel Corportation.