X386 Hardware experiences

Andrew J Michael eesrajm at cc.brunel.ac.uk
Thu Apr 18 03:28:34 AEST 1991

I tried asking this a while ago, but got no replies.  Since this isn't usual
in my experience, the posting must have fallen down a big black hole somewhere
so I'll try again.

I have a 386 clone on which I want to run the Roell X386 binaries.  At present
the machine only has a CGA card (!!) so I'm open to suggestions as regards
display card and monitor.  I like the idea of an SVGA card that uses software
timing control (i.e. VCO), but don't know who makes them.  All the suppliers
I have spoken to don't know the difference between crystals and VCO anyway.
I usually get something like "Dunno guv - it's a VGA card, innit ?".*

I remember someone on this newsgroup saying that they were very happy with
one particular card, which I think cost $199 in the USA.  Unfortunately I
can't find the details anymore.  So - could anyone make me suggestions as to
which cards to use or not use ?  Ideas about monitors would be gratefully
received as well.

Thanks in advance

Andy Michael

* Translate this into your local dialect.

--
Andy Michael                                     "You might think that.  I
85 Hawthorne Crescent                             couldn't possibly comment."
Middlesex            email: eesrajm at brunel.ac.uk
UB7 9PA           or Andrew.Michael at brunel.ac.uk